Are you currently accepting grantee applications?
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not accepting new grantee applications at this moment. We will begin the search for new grantees in Spring 2021. To be the first to know when our grant application will go live, email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our prospective member email list.
What are the qualifications for potential grantees?
Only organizations that meet all of the following criteria are eligible. Organizations must:
- Have as their primary mission the provision of direct services to low‐income, underserved children or teens for a period of time sufficient to enhance education or life skills and constitute a life‐transforming activity;
- Have an operating budget between $150,000 and $1.5 million per fiscal year;
- Be a certified 501(c)3 non‐profit organization;
- Be independent and not a subsidiary or branch of a national organization, unless they are a wholly independent program;
- Be located and operate within New York City;
- Have been founded between 2010 (under 10 years old at application) and 2018 and remained in continuous operation;
- Be working toward expanding the programing services either within the population served, or to include new populations of young people.
Can my organization apply for funding if the organization is over 10 years old and has a budget of over $1.5 million, but has recently launched youth programming?
While SparkYouth NYC appreciates the struggles all organizations face as they launch new programming and sites our mandate is to support and bolster emerging organizations with a primary focus on youth. An application from an organization over ten years old and/or with a budget over $1.5 million will be disqualified.
What is a the size of a typical grant from SparkYouth NYC?
Because SparkYouth NYC raises funds each year from its supporters to distribute to the member organizations, the actual amount distributed varies from year to year, but has recently been in the range of $50,000‐75,000 per calendar year. We are unable to guarantee a particular grant amount year to year.
Can an organization apply to be a grantee more than once?
Yes. However, as a result of our requirement that organizations be under 10 years old at the time of application and our 3 year funding period, organizations generally only have the opportunity to apply twice.